Wednesday, February 1, 2017

What does DriveWise really test (distance not wisdom)

In the USA
Drivewise - the program that pays you for smart driving.
Drivewise is a way for smart drivers to get rewarded for driving safely every day. Each time you take a drive, it collects feedback on driving behaviors including hard braking, high speed and when you're behind the wheel. The safer you drive, the more you can earn!

In Canada
What is Drivewise?
Allstate created Drivewise to help drivers who exhibit certain safe driving behaviours to save money on insurance, to help save lives and reduce losses on our roads. Through the use of a telematics device, the Drivewise program promotes safe driving awareness. It’s designed to reward safe driving behaviour by recording when and how many kilometers are driven as well as how safely the vehicle is operated.

All the advertising led me to believe that the DriveWise program was designed to reward people that Drive Wisely and are good drivers.

In a way it is true but not really.

As I said in my first post, I have been with Allstate for over 20 years with not a single at fault claim, no demerits and I can't remember when I got my last traffic ticket.  I estimate that over the last 25 years I have driven more than 500,000 km.  Over the last 5 years I do not drive much.  I would assume that if I do not cause any accidents that I am a good driver.

From what I have seen of the program, my assessment is that the first criteria is not how well you drive but how much you drive.

To get any real discount from my observations these are the first criteria you need to pass

20% discount = less than 6,000 km per year
21-24% discount = 4,000 to 5,000 km per year
25-27% discount = 3,000 to 4,000 km per year
30% discount = less than 3,000 km per year


After the "how much you drive" criteria you start to lose points for
1. What time of day you drive (driving on weekdays before noon is surprisingly bad)
2. How many times you have "braking events"
3. How often you speed

From Drivewise
My question: What are the criteria for getting 20% and 25% discount?

Drivewise answer: Though there are no specific guidelines to achieve a 20-25% discount, customers who typically drive around 3,000-4,000 km annually would stand to see the highest chances of earning a higher discount. Keep in mind, this is all dependant on the other factors as the discount is determined and calculated with all four factors working together.     


So, my first lesson learned about DriveWise = Don't Drive



Other Reviews

Allstate Drivewise Review: The Pros and Cons
Allstate Drivewise: An Honest Review

No comments:

Post a Comment